Acne and Pimples
- Whiteheads or closed plugged pores
- Blackheads or open plugged pores
- Small and red colored bumps
- Lumps with pus at their tips
- Large painful lumps present beneath the skin surface (can be filled with pus)
Acne and Pimples - Overview
Acne is a skin condition in which there is excessive production of oil from the sebaceous glands, which leads to the blockage of hair follicles and then acne or pimples, appears on the skin. It is the most common problem of adolescents. It usually occurs on the face, shoulders, back and other areas that are densely populated with sebaceous glands. Acne presents either as whiteheads, blackheads, pimples or nodules.
Rising androgen levels develop the oil glands under the skin, the enlarged gland produces more oil which breaks down the cellular walls in the pores, causing bacteria to grow which leads to acne/pimples. Acne or pimples also occur on the skin when the cells of the skin become dead, pores become clogged. Causes of Pimples or Acne could also be genetic.