- Vaginal infections Symptoms:
- Vaginal discharge that is thick or odorless & whitish-gray in color
- Intense itching of the vaginal or genital area
- Irritation and burning
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Pain or burning during urination
- Redness & irritation or soreness of vagina or vulva in women
- Swelling of vagina
Vaginal Infections - Overview
Vaginal yeast infections are a common female condition. A healthy vagina has bacteria & some yeast cells. But when the ratio of bacteria & yeast changes, the yeast cells gets multiply. This causes intense swelling, itching, and irritation. A vaginal infection is an infection caused by yeast (the type of fungus). It is very common, affecting up to 75% of women at some point in life.
Vaginal Infection Causes and Treatment
Vaginal infections happen when new yeast is introduced to the vaginal area or when there is more quantity of yeast already present in the vagina relative to the number of normal bacteria. Other causes of vaginal yeast infections are an injury to the inner vagina, suppressed immune systems, diabetes, pregnancy and taking oral contraceptives.